I’d like to break the radio silence to post a small update on the current state of things, and discuss our plans for development over the next few months.
Current functionality for the base of the game includes:
- Networked character controller
- Gravitational systems (video)
- Inventory (non-pretty working UI)
- Basic weapon and equipment management system – pick up, drop, throw, store & destroy
Having recently discussed our plans for the game over the next few months, we’ve decided to focus on feature development for the underlying engine for the game, rather than continuing development on common gameplay features like weaponry and itemization. A lot of games have guns and shooting mechanics, but truly great games like Minecraft achieve success by building gameplay elements on top of a unique, custom base of core features that allows them to shine. Over the next few months we’ll be working on cool things like:
- Procedural terrain generation
- Terrain modification/deformation
- Model cutting & destruction
- Softbody physics using cloth
With a bit of luck and a lot of work, we’ll be able to come up with some really cool stuff we can build on in order to make a great game.